Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Field Experience Day 6 - February 28th, 2012

        
            Reflection on Lesson:


            After a nice long break, the St. Mary’s students continued their unit in Floor Hockey with Mr. Mack. In today’s lesson the 5th graders had the opportunity to combine their dribbling skills with their passing skills. This is also known as the second stage of game play. The students first did their daily warm-up and then an instant activity that concentrated on cardiovascular endurance. The instant activity involved five lines of students with each line having six different lengths that were marked by cones in which they were to run. The first student that ran was to throw a dice against the back of the wall that they were stationed at and the number that was thrown was the number of cone lengths that had to be run.



            The Floor Hockey lesson began with a review of the rules and cues for what was already learned. The cones already being in place from the instant activity we had the students weaving through each cone with a dribbling drill to establish a sense of control. This particular activity is considered the first stage of game play. I had volunteered to demonstrate and instruct the class to perform this drill. Once the drill had begun I had noticed that some of the students were weaving diagonally into other student’s lanes. I obviously was not clear on my instructions leaving out vital information and learned from this particular problem. Although I assumed that the students would know to stay in their own lanes because of the way the cones were structured I learned that nothing can be assumed and instructions must be clear.

            To finish up the class lesson Mr. Mack separated the class amongst boys and girls. Miss. Fredrickson and I instructed a passing drill with the boys on one side of the gymnasium while Mr. Mack did the same with the girls on the other side. The students were paired with a partner and were 10 feet away from each other performing passes with the cues eyes on ball, follow through and receive. I had trouble keeping the students focused on the task because of behavior challenges that occurred. Students were not using the cues rather just hitting the ball as hard as they could to their partner which complicated the idea of receiving because the ball was hit so hard that they had to run after it. After a few minutes of seeing that the goal of performing a successful pass was not being met I completely stopped all activity had the students put down their sticks. I explained to them my disappointment with what I observed that was being performed improperly and what I expected of them moving forward.

The remainder of the drill went more smoothly and the lesson was finished with a keep away game using a combination of both dribbling and passing to teammates. The addition of defenders created a third stage of game play atmosphere. The reflection on this lesson I felt brought a successful organized structure to building up of game play in floor hockey. Although there were some obstacles in the way of my ability to teach this lesson with Mr. Mack I believe I handled it ok. I was disappointed with my effectiveness at first and realized time wasted could have been prevented if I had established the proper instructions to begin with. There is nothing I would have changed about this particular lesson that was established by Mr. Mack. I would have however changed my ability to give clearer instructions and to have more poise moving forward when things are going as planned. I know I am still learning but feel these were mistakes that could have been easily avoided. I know to prepare better before a lesson moving forward.  

No comments:

Post a Comment